Michael Siepmann, Ph.D.
The Tech Design Psychologist ™
Founder and President
Michael Siepmann possesses a unique combination of industry experience in technology design and engineering, expertise in scientific psychology that is both deep and broad, and practical insight arising from his lifelong dedication to unlocking his own human potential.
His nine years of study and research in the science of psychology started at the University of Stirling in Scotland and culminated in a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania – one of the top-ranked psychology departments in the world (now home to Martin Seligman’s Positive Psychology Center). The unusual flexibility of Penn’s doctoral program enabled him to work with two dissertation advisers – judgment and decision-making psychologist Jonathan Baron and social psychologist John Sabini – while also receiving rigorous training in clinical psychology (despite not planning to become a clinical psychologist) to broaden his perspective and expertise.
(Read more about his psychology research.)
He subsequently joined the Human Factors Engineering group at CenturyLink (formerly Qwest), where for over a decade he designed, evaluated, and usability-tested user interfaces for a diverse range of technologies including:
- Complex web applications used by employees and by wholesale, enterprise, and government customers
- Consumer web sites, applications, portals, and portal widgets
- A TV remote control, an interactive IPTV system, and a TV call and voice mail management system
- Installation instructions and packaging for DSL Internet service
- An Android mobile app with location-based features and a mobile-optimized “my account” web site
(Read more about his technology design work.)
As part of his lifelong dedication to unlocking his own human potential, he complements his scientific knowledge of psychology with daily mindfulness meditation, enhancing his ability to bring concentration, clarity, and equanimity to his own conscious experience and to his thinking and decision making.
Habit Design™ is a private-label, open science research platform that trains teams to grow positive, sustainable daily habits together by combining clinically tested, evidence-based behavioral psychology with mobile app-based peer coaching.
Our professional affiliations include:
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- ACM’s Special Interest Group on Computer Human Interaction (ACM SigCHI)
- Interaction Design Association (IxDA)
- Toastmasters International